What Is KWoA?
Knights Without Armor (KWoA) is an open men's circle affiliated with The ManKind Project USA (MKP). Our mission is to develop better men through self-awareness, inner healing, and personal growth. We do so by creating a safe, powerful "container" in which we explore our emotions and the unconscious shadows that keep us from living the full, authentic lives to which we aspire.
We believe that lasting personal change can occur for me only if I first come to understand what is driving my counterproductive behaviors. Achieving this understanding is our primary focus at KWoA.
Many support groups promote sharing, empathy, encouragement, and taking responsibility for my actions. In our experience, these methods — while well-intentioned — are ineffective at creating lasting change for me as long as I remain unaware of the underlying causes of my destructive behaviors. In the absence of such awareness, this "support" often serves to implictly reinforce my self-limiting beliefs. This obstructs me from discovering my truth and, from there, transforming my life.
KWoA is open to all men (and women) visitors with advance notice, except on the first Wed of each month, when we are closed to non-members.
To request attendance, email Ray at firstname.lastname@example.org before 3pm on Tuesday.
Arrive on time, plan to stay for the full three hours, and bring $7-10 dollars to contribute to our weekly room rental fee. We also suggest bringing a bottle of water (no food or other drink is allowed in the chapel).
First time visitors are asked to familiarize themselves with the reading materials below prior to attending.
Note: Full voting members are permitted to deny visitor requests, although in practice this rarely occurs. While we generally recommend the ManKind Project's New Warrior Training Adventure to visiting men, there is no requirement for men to do the weekend in order to continue visiting the group or to become a member.
Date and Time
KWoA meets every Wed from 7-10pm. The first Wed of each month is currently open to members only.
Very occasionally we will cancel (e.g. due to year-end holidays), or change the location for a specific evening.
First Parish Unitarian Church
50 Church St.
Waltham, MA 02452
Click here for a Google Map.
We meet in the small white chapel to the right side of the main church building. Enter through the chapel's front door. (There is usually an AA meeting going on in the main church building.)
There are parking lots on both sides of the church; we recommend parking in the less-used lot on the left side.
If you need a ride to or from KWoA please let us know ahead of time. Often, we can accommodate these requests.
A Typical Evening with KWoA
Our meetings are generally conducted in six rounds:
- Sensei Round: This opening round (sometimes called the "smudge" round) initiates the "container" in which we will do our work. Each man asks another participant a question about a challenging issue in his own life, and the other man answers that question as it applies to him.
- Lover Round: Each participant checks in with his current emotions and what those feelings are about.
- Warrior Round: During this round we explore issues of accountability, and also clear interpersonal "charges" that may keep us from being fully present.
[A short "bio break" and "logistics" round occurs at this point]
- Magician Round: One or more participants bring a piece of their shadow to explore, and are facilitated in this work by other members of the group.
- Sovereign Round: During this round (sometimes called the "king" round), each man offers his blessings to other men, himself, and / or the container.
- The Closing Round: The evening then concludes with a round so sacred, so special, and so secret, that words cannot possibly describe it! It can only be experienced in person.
Visitors are encouraged to participate fully in all rounds and to bring their own work to explore. We invite new men to take the risk of being vulnerable and to examine their feelings and shadow in the circle. We take safety seriously and honor the right of participants to "pass" during any of the rounds.
We ask that first-time visitors read the following before attending:
- Language Lab: best practices for speaking in circle
- Definition of Shadow: an introduction to the core concept underpinning our work
- The Five Primary Emotions: an overview of the "primary colors" of emotions and the messages they send
KWoA is a peer-facilitated, not-for-profit educational group. It is not psychotherapy or a substitute for it. Please consult a licensed mental health professional before making any major life decisions or changes to your current psychotherapy or medication regimens. If you are experiencing homicidal, suicidal, or other dangerous urges please dial 9-1-1 immediately to get help.
KWoA adopts, and recommends that visitors review, the ManKind Project's Declaration on Mental Health.